Title: Director of Construction
Purpose: The Director of Construction (DOC) manages and directs all aspects of construction operations, to include (but not limited to) people, functions, and teams responsible for completing production and program requirements involving construction (new, recycle, repair, rehab) warranty and special projects.
Time Commitment: Full time, Typical work week is Tuesday through Saturday, Mondays when no Saturday construction
Direct Supervisor: Works closely with Construction & Site Selection Committee, Community Outreach/Volunteer Coordinator, Homeowner Services Coordinator, and reporting to the Executive Director, to develop the yearly building plan and put it into action. Executive Director will conduct quarterly and yearly evaluations.
- Minimum of 3 years of Experience in Construction Management with increasing roles of responsibility.
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management Field or Engineering preferred.
- Possession or ability to obtain General Contractors License
- Rehab/repair experiences a plus.
- Team player with excellent personnel management skills and capacity to build strong departmental team
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) to work across departments and with various levels of management.
- Proven ability to manage medium-production construction schedule with multiple deadlines, in- house and outside resources and interdepartmental coordination.
- Experience in negotiating and managing subcontractors.
- Experience in working with planning documents, CAD drawing of house plans, and some design experience helpful
- Attention to detail, thoroughness and well organized.
- Experience directing and managing volunteer’s a plus.
- Demonstrate planning and organizational skills, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines, and function smoothly under strict deadlines and shifting priorities.
- Ability to think strategically and to envision and balance “big picture” priorities.
- Computer literacy with demonstration experience in Microsoft Project (word and excel) and Internet
- Commitment to Habitat’s affordable housing mission and the continued growth of the organization
Duties & Specific Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates commitment to Lincoln County Habitat for Humanity’s faith based mission in all interactions with staff, volunteers, homeowners in process, and general public.
- Exercises quality written and verbal communication with all affiliate internal and external constituents.
- Establishes ongoing communication with the staff, volunteer leadership and partner families. Attends staff meetings, house kick-offs and house blessings.
- Coordinates all facets of construction to meet the overall organizational goals for operations including Site Preparation, Resource Development and Volunteer Services, Family Services and Special Projects.
- Manages and maintains interdepartmental communication and meetings so that Construction functions within the team.
- Treat all partner families with respect and dignity through effective communication. Make partner families’ involvement in construction process meaningful and ensure construction staff and volunteer leaders are mindful of this ministry requirement.
- Work with Executive Director and Site Selection/Construction Committee to evaluate land acquisition and home purchases.
- Work with architects, engineers, surveyors during pre-development stages.
- Coordinates site plans and layouts consistent with development of plot plans and building types of each lot/community.
- Obtains site plan approvals and permits from Town/County entities and county entities as required.
- Responsible for all Policies, Procedures and Record Keeping for the Construction Department including those required by specific grants. (i.e. HOME, CDBG, GIK programs, 502 &504, SHOP and FHLB)
- Manages staff development and performance standards for Construction Department.
- Responsible for cost accounting, budget management and analysis for Construction Department.
- Uses purchase orders and matches purchase orders to invoices for payment. Approves all invoices for the department.
- Manages subcontractor procurement process to achieve the highest quality and performance by subcontractors at the best possible price.
- Manages and solicits construction Gifts In Kind by evaluating donated labor and services and record keeping of estimated value of each.
- Oversees Materials Procurement to ensure quality, cost, warehousing, inventories, maintenance and logistics are appropriately managed.
- Manages construction resources and inventory to minimize theft and loss. Maintains record of inventory.
- Overall responsibility for managing issues of job site safety, job site security for people and equipment and construction quality.
- Become a Certified Competent Person (Habitat’s safety program)
- Oversees Neighborhood Revitalization projects, processes and scheduling.
- Oversees warranty work and documentation. Identifies and evaluates repetitive issues. Implements cost effective solutions that provide high level of customer service.
- Maintains records for each home including design plans, permits, and CO.
- Creates a homeowner manual that includes warranty information and serial numbers for each home.
- Conduct final-walk through for each homeowner and completes punch list items prior to home blessing.
- Oversees Special Projects operations to ensure that construction services are performed efficiently and on schedule, and that internal and external communications are managed appropriately.
- Perform other duties as request by Executive Director and Site Selection/Construction Committee.
- Establish construction task forces for: warranty work, NR work [repairs, recycles, rehabs, [weatherization] to help develop volunteer leadership to take on these tasks.
The DOC is to execute operations to include plan refinement, construction office management, ‘warehouse’ management (includes construction vehicle maintenance), purchasing (procurement) and finance, construction staff assignments, vendor/subcontractor arrangements, on-site volunteer pairing and supervising. The DOC is responsible for setting the master schedule to meet deadlines set by extensive grant requirements.
DOC oversees all construction staff, materials and logistics, equipment, procurement and management of subcontractors and management of special projects that may arise through partnerships. The DOC partners with Resource Development, Volunteer Services and Homeowner Services to employ the Habitat model for engaging volunteers and family partners in the construction process. The Site Supervisor also ensures procurement policies and procedures, local and federal laws pertaining to grants are in force and correct records keeping as required by the specific grant.
DOC is responsible for land development activities which includes meeting with Town/County Planning Staff, architects, engineers, and surveyors to determine what product type will best meet the site requirements and maintain HFHI house design criteria and standards which include “green building”. DOC ensures all plan approvals, permits and licenses are obtained. Site Supervisor works with Executive Director and Site Selection/Construction Committee during acquisition phase of new land or property.
This position has a key role in our growth, and we are depending on you to help us reach our capacity, and we want to have joy in doing so, in celebrating all the small steps taken to get us there. Each step is a blessing.
To apply please submit a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Habitat for Humanity of Lincoln County, NC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.