HFH of Wake County – National – Construction Crew Leader
Habitat for Humanity of Wake County
Habitat for Humanity of Wake County has partnered with this community for more than 30 years and has hosted AmeriCorps members since 2001. We currently have 12 AmeriCorps alumni on staff, as we truly recognize the value and impact of serving. Our affiliate is regarded as a leader in developing new programs such as the Home Builders Blitz and piloting HFHI programs such as the Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative. We currently have 6 ReStores scattered throughout the county, with the goal of opening a 7th store in FY18. In addition to serving 115 families via homeownership and home preservation projects in FY18, we will also support global families in Honduras, Malawi and Cambodia.
AmeriCorps members are eligible to attend a Global Village trip during their service term. In addition, members receive a $250 monthly housing allowance ($400/month for 2nd year Habitat AmeriCorps members) and a $75 tool allowance and work site gear. The Raleigh area is the perfect blend of urban and rural. We are home to several colleges including NC State University, as well as an ever changing downtown landscape with all the amenities you’d expect in a modern city. For those who need a little green in their lives, over 200 parks can be found in Raleigh, thus maintaining its identity as the City of Oaks.
For more information about Habitat for Humanity of Wake County, please visit our website.
Construction Crew Leader
As a Construction Crew Leader, you are integral to our goals of building more homes and better neighborhoods and communities throughout our service area. Your primary responsibility will be to assist with hands on construction tasks including, but not limited to, site prep, framing, roofing, finish carpentry, landscaping and clean up. Additionally, you will lead small groups of volunteers, providing them with on-site orientations and safety talks and ensuring that they are well-employed while on work sites. On occasion, you may participate in larger community projects or affiliate events.
Please Note: while construction experience is helpful, it is not required.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
• Driver’s license
• Personal vehicle
• Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time, often on rough and uneven terrain
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis
• Ability to work on ladders and heights of up to two-stories
• Ability to work in varying weather conditions – sites are often not heated during winter and not air-conditioned during summer
• Ability (or willingness to learn) to drive large pick-up trucks
• Experience with power tools
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
• Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word/Excel)
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people
• Detail oriented and highly organized
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
Benefits of Service:
• AmeriCorps National living allowance of $13,732 (paid over the full 46.5 weeks of full-time service)
• Segal Education Award of $5,920 (upon successful completion of service) – lifetime maximum of 2
• Affordable Care Act compliant health care plan (Habitat pays the monthly premiums)
• Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible)
• Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
• 10 personal/sick leave days
• Approx. 10 holidays (dependent on service location)
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) – offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources
What’s in it for you?
At the end of the service year, you will recruit and/or manage 2,000 volunteers in the building, rehabilitation, or repair of homes. You will participate in several community outreach events and Neighborhood Revitalization projects, plus help us complete 15 new builds/repairs/rehabs, in direct service of 50 families. Additionally, you will gain enhanced skills in communication, leadership, delegation, team-building time & project management, construction and safety.
What’s needed to apply?
• Resume (tell us about your experience)
• Motivation Statement (express why you want to serve) – input in “Cover Letter” section